Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Magic of Veggie Gruel

Okay. So, "Gruel" doesn't sound like a very tasty thing. I'll give you that. But that is what I have been calling it for the lack of a better word for a while... and it's magic. Well, not really. But it can help you perform magic in the kitchen. I LOVE onions and green peppers. So much so, that I put them in almost everything. So, about 4 years ago I started chopping them up once a week and putting in a plastic container in the refrigerator, so I always had some on hand. By taking that time at the first of the week, I could save myself 10 to 15 minutes of preparation time. And preparation is one of the keys to good cooking. Timing is essential with some dishes. Granted, when I first started doing this, I was also chopping tomatoes into the mix as well. I've since learned that I am allergic to tomatoes. But, by all means, throw 'em in there!

My Standard Gruel of Green Peppers, Onions, Mediterranean Basil and Garlic

Essentially, Veggie Gruel is what you make of it. Maybe you prefer to put carrots and squash in everything. Throw some olive oil and some oregano in with them, and set yourself a week's supply. Once you have your Gruel prepared you are ready to throw a few spoonfuls in the wok to saute with chicken and sesame sauce, or perhaps toss on some iceberg lettuce with vinaigrette for a salad.  It's all about being prepared. So, when you see a reference in one of my recipe's to Veggie Gruel, you'll know exactly what I am talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment