Sunday, January 15, 2012

Filipino Sweet Salmon

Welcome back to my food blog. I thought I would start off with one of my successes in the kitchen. In truth, it is not an "official" Filipino dish. However, many of the elements of this recipe are found in a lot of Filipino dishes. I am a huge seafood and fish eater. And I am always looking for ways to spice up my baked salmon. I am also a huge fan of just about anything Asian. So when I found myself with several Asian-centric ingredients but not everything for several specific recipe's from a Christmas gift cookbook from my sister, I decided to create my own recipe. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Ingredients:

1/2 Cup Coconut Vinegar
2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
1 Tbsp Mint Leaves
4 - 6 Mango Slices
1/2 Cup Chopped Onions & Green Peppers
Fresh Ginger-root Sliced (add to your taste)
1 Sectional of Fresh Garlic Sliced (add to your taste)
Canola Spray
2 Salmon Fillets

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 405 degrees. Mix the coconut vinegar, fish sauce, and mint in a small bowl or measuring cup, whisking thoroughly. Lightly spray a 9x9 glass dish with canola. Set salmon fillets, skin down, in glass dish. Pour mixture slowly over fillets, giving time for the mixture to soak in. You may even want to let marinate in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. Top the fillets with the slices of ginger-root and garlic per your taste. If you really, really like ginger and garlic, then make the slices thick and abundant. Spread onions and green peppers over the fillets and liberally around the dish. Finally, top fillets with slices of Mango. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve with flavored rice and choice of side vegetable. Serves 1-2.

You will find the hint of mint in combination with the mango gives the dish a wonderful sweetness played against the vinegar and veggies. And of course, the ginger-root and garlic will give it that distinctly Asian flavor. Do enjoy. And if you give this recipe a try and like it- or hate it- come on back and post a comment.

1 comment:

  1. gonna try this out, then i'll let you know the outcome..;)

    ReplyDelete