Friday, February 17, 2012

Restaurant Review: Mexico Tipico (Louisville, KY)



I finally managed to get back to one of my favorite restaurants (10th on my list), an authentic Mexican place here in Louisville, KY called Mexico Tipico. One of the things that always annoys me about so many ethnic restaurants, no matter where you go, is the lack of authenticity. A lot of these ethnic places think they have to dumb down, water down, and flavor down their unique cuisine to appeal and appease the American taste-bud. And quite frankly, it's just not necessary. When I visit a Mexican restaurant, I want 100% authentic Mexican food with all of its nuance and flavor. That is exactly what you get when you go to Mexico Tipico: 100% authentic south-of-the-border food in a 100% authentic Mexican environment. The other great thing about Mexico Tipico is the sheer volume of choices. Their menu is packed with Rellenos, Enchiladas, Tacos, Carnitas, you name it, it's on their menu. I don't think I have ever once gone there and been able to make my selection in less than 15 minutes. So many choices, so many flavors, and all of them very tasty.

My buddy Ken accompanied me once again. He has become something of my default culinary chauffeur, since I hate to drive. Once again, we strategically arrived between the lunch and dinner rush. Be warned, the place fills up fast during the dinner hour. We started off with an appetizer of cheese dip filled with spicy, flavorful chorizu sausage, and your standard tortilla chips and salsa.

After much deliberation, I chose one of my favorite entree's on the menu: the Las Enchiladas Supremas. This dish consists of 5 huge enchiladas: ground beef; chicken; cheese; shredded beef; and bean. Served on a large, hot plate, covered in lettuce, sour cream, tomato, ranchera sauce, and asiago cheese. Be also warned, the portions are large. You may very well be taking some of your dinner home in a box. My enchiladas were perfect. The shredded beef was succulent. The chicken was tender. I savored every bit of this dish. I did have to order a helping of guacamole a la carte. But their are plenty of dishes that come with the classic avocado side.

Ken had delivered to him the Steak Tipico Special. The 12-oz sirloin, still sizzling, lay on a bed of black beans and rice with lettuce, topped with asiago cheese. Not expecting such a huge portion of steak, Ken soon realized his eyes were bigger than his stomach. My dining partner enjoyed his meal as well, but did say that the steak was a little tough in spots from what to be a little over-cooking. But we were both very happy with the fact that our drinks were never empty. Our server was completely on top of things, very attentive and helpful. All in all, it was yet another great experience.

The average price of an entree at Mexio Tipico  is around $10. Although, you can also eat a la carte from a large selection of burritos, tacos, fajitas and more. Appetizers range from $3 to $6. We did not go for dessert this time around. But, I can tell you from experience that they have a wonderfully smooth and creamy flan, a delightful fried ice cream, and tasty sopapillas. Mexico Tipico is a great place for lunch or dinner, friends and family. Great food at great prices. You will be glad you went.

Mexico Tipico is located at 6517 Dixie Highway in Louisville, KY. For more information, check out all the details at iDine.com here: Mexico Tipico

My Rating: * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment