Saturday, February 4, 2012

Restaurant Review: bd's Mongolian Grill

As you can see, I decided to just go ahead and post my whole Top 10 List all at once. But, having done so, I have also visited a few of them in the past couple of weeks so that I can bring you new reviews. Of course, as stated before, there are obvious bias's here. Bu these preliminary reviews are more about practice anyway. For this post I chose to review #7 on my list: bd's Mongolian Grill.

 

I have to say, right up front, it is kind of difficult to review a place like bd's, for the very nature of what it is. In many ways you are the chef at a Mongolian Grill. But, I will start with our server. I am sorry to say, I have forgotten the name of the lovely server we had at the bd's in Louisville, KY on Hurstbourne Ave. But she was great. As is often the case, I went to dinner with my best friend, Ken. We both have one basic dining need that we are always appreciative of: keeping our drinks full. And our server did that. She was pleasant and thorough with offering us all the possibilities that existed for our dinner. 

We did in fact start with appetizers, as we often do. I chose the crisp pork egg rolls that melted in my mouth while eating. Ken went with the pot-sticker dumplings. Each were stuffed full of goodness and enjoyed with traditional sauces. We also partook of the salad bar stocked with lots of fresh veggies. When it comes to the main dinner, you have your choice: one bowl or more bowls.

The wonderful thing about a Mongolian Grill is that you get to take an empty bowl, then choose from a large selection of meats, veggies, spices and sauces to create your own dish. The grillers then take your selections and throw them on to a large (4' or so in diameter) flat grill and cook them with dual wielding "swords". The technique hearkens back to the days of the Mongol warriors of the 12th and 13th centuries, who would cook their meals on the go inside of their shields and use their swords to mix the food. Often during peak hours, there are 2 chefs who work the grill, on either side of the circle, together cooking up to 8 meals at a time. One of the things I like about bd's is that if you are like me with a lot a food allergies, they also have a separate area where you food can be isolated and cooked in a wok with the same results. And the chef's are very accommodating as well. They will usually give you a chance to add more sauce before they finish up. And on this trip, I asked the chef for the plate he was going to put my meal on, so I could get a bed of lettuce on it first. No problem.

The variety and diversity of meats and veggies is impressive: beef, chicken, shrimp, scallops, pork, fish, carrots, broccoli, green peppers, onions and more. And bd's is also known for its variety of edamame treats and selections. My personal favorite selection is shrimp, pork, peppers, onions, bamboo shoots, szechuan sauce, and curry and garlic spice. The combinations are many.

We opted out of dessert for this visit. But, bd's does offer a handful of daily delights to tempt your sweet-tooth. All in all, bd's Mongolian Grill is a great experience to enjoy with friends and family, at a reasonable price for great food. 

For more info about bd's Mongolian Grill or to find a location near you, visit their website:

Wolf's Rating: * * * *
Ken's Rating: * * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment