Friday, January 24, 2014

Recipe': Fish Burrito



I am always looking for new ways to cook fish and seafood. It is so easy to fall into the traditional, standardized types of meals centered around fish. I've only eaten fish or seafood taco's twice before: once with whitefish in corn shells, and once with sauteed shrimp in a flour shell.So, I got to thinking about what I could do with a flour tortilla and came up with the idea of a fish burrito. I headed down to Whole Foods Market last weekend, and talked with my favorite fishmonger- Marcy- and decided to get get some Turbot fillets. Also known as the poor man's Swordfish, Turbot is a meaty, mild tasting whitefish. It is especially good for those folks who like fish without the heavy "fishy" bite that some varieties have. One of the great things about shopping at a market like Whole Foods, is that you can get your meat and fish cut the way you want. I had already decided before going that I wanted to get thin, angular cuts of the fillet in order to make it easier to build the burrito. I knew I wanted cheese, green pepper and onion in there as well. But, I knew there was a missing ingredient I had yet to discover. The other nice thing about having a market that you visit on a regular basis, is getting to know the good folks that work there. Marcy was kind enough to suggest goat cheese, as she had tried something akin to that herself. So, credit for the goat cheese ingredient goes to her. In the end, it was a perfect choice, and the burrito I made was tasty, and filling. Unfortunately, it did not occur to me at the time to snap a picture of the dish. But I share with you instead, a picture of the mighty Turbot. And of course, the recipe'....

The ingredients in this dish are not measured, since the amount you may want on your burrito may differ.

Ingredients:
Flour Tortilla
2 ½-inch wide strips of Turbo Fillet (or other whitefish)
Goat Cheese crumbles
Shredded Mexican-Blend Cheese
Onion and Green Pepper sliced “Fajita” style.
Sour Cream

Instructions:

Pre-heat oven to 405 degrees. Heat up a tortilla in microwave or skillet to soften.  Lay tortilla flat on a plate, then spread some shredded cheese in the middle. Place 2 of the fish strips across the cheese, creating a “valley” between them. Fill the valley between the fish strips with goat cheese crumbles. Place “Fajita”-style slices of onions and green peppers on top of the fish and cheese at an angle. To make the burrito a little spicy, add some salsa, hot sauce, or other condiment drizzled on top of the fish and cheese mixture. Carefully roll the tortilla up into a burrito, folding all sides in. Then place the burrito in a greased baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes. After baking, remove from oven, place on a plate, and top with more shredded cheese and dollops of sour cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment