Thursday, March 1, 2012

Restaurant Review: Puccini's Smiling Teeth (Louisville, KY)


Per our usual M.O., Ken and I headed to Puccini's on a Saturday afternoon around 4:30. We were on our way to do some "world" class shopping at World Market and Whole Foods, and decided that starting the evening with some Puccini's was a perfect round out to an adventure in the St. Mathews neighborhood of Louisville. In all honesty I owed Puccini's a new visit. The last and first time I had gone, I had gotten terribly sick and did not know at the time that I was allergic to tomatoes. Having taken the huge "stab-me-in-the-back-102-times" allergy test, I now know I should avoid tomatoes at all costs. Yes, it is a shame, for I do LOVE tomatoes. But, I was due to sample Puccini's Italian fare once again with an open mind and a new perspective.

Having said that, I have to say that I am still NOT impressed with the "ambience" of Puccini's. The place is large enough, with ample seating, but there is practically no decor. The servers dress in whatever they want. It seems as if the management is trying to illicit the feel of a "joint" rather than a dine-in restaurant. But, even that is a bit of failure due to the fact there was but one tv, and little consistency in the overall attitude of the place. In all honesty, while I can appreciate the casual experience they are trying to achieve, I really believe they should have all their staff wearing purple or black polos with the Puccini logo on them. It is difficult to discern the server from the patron, and as a result, service suffers. Having said my piece about that....

Let's move on to the food. Apparently, Ken and I were on the same wavelength that night. From a host of standard and signature appetizers and Italian casual fare, we both were of the mind to get pepperoni bread and something they call the "Lil' Razorback Pizza." Our foray was a bit bumpy at first...I had to return a snack plate that was still dirty, and Ken's diet coke was extremely flat. But, our server Nikkie- who was very helpful and attentive albeit overwhelmed- took great care of us. The pepperoni bread was awesome. Served with both ranch and marinara sauce, it was a perfect start. The Lil' Razorback, is an Italian pie filled with smoked sausage, pepperoni and bacon. You can't possibly go wrong with bacon. We opted for the large 16" between us, and it was more than enough to sate us. Smoked sausage on pizza = a great idea. Absolutely delicious. I was especially impressed by the crust; thin, but not too crispy. The dough had great texture and had a rustic taste. The meats were perfectly cooked and juicy. And  Nikkie was great at keeping our glasses filled.

All in all it was a good experience. I ended up treating Ken since I owed him a Birthday dinner, and my bill with a 15% tip came to just over $28. So, certainly, for an economical, hangout before you shop, eating experience, Puccini's is well worth it. Despite my criticism of Puccini's environment, it is still a good place to eat for a good price.

For more information about Puccini's, or to find a location near you in Indiana or Kentucky, visit their website here: http://www.puccinissmilingteeth.com/

Wolf's Overall Rating: * * * 1/2

Ken's Overall Rating: * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment